Monday, May 10, 2010

The right funk


So the snow’s gone and I’m now out of my funk (as they say here in Alberta). Not too sure what a funk is exactly, but I think the English equivalent might be 'having the hump', or as any wannabe-Cockney would say, 'the right 'ump'. Anyway, with the snow gone, I was able to finish off the beds, and rather fetching they look, too.

As luck would have it, while the ground was covered in snow for those few days last week, a flyer was put through the door advertising a compost sale. A local swimming club was having a fund-raiser and selling bags of organic compost. As my compost isn’t ready – at least not in any amount that’s worth digging into the soil – you can imagine how deliriously happy I was to receive this flyer. I quickly called and placed an order for one 40-litre bag, at the price of $10. I worked out that I would be able to get the bag of compost back home (the sale was being held about 20 blocks or so from my house) in my shopping trolley. Brilliant!

So the compost is now dug into the beds, and I’ve sown some seeds directly into the ground. I’m hardening off the plants I started off indoors from seed. Unfortunately, I think the cucumbers must have had quite a shock at the weekend when I placed them outside for a few hours as they’re looking very sorry for themselves. The tomato plants seem to be doing well, as are the onions and parsley.

I also bought some bedding plants at the weekend for containers and the one hanging basket the previous owners left in the back garden. However, I’m not planting any tender plants out just yet as there’s every chance that we’ll get another dump of snow before the summer really starts – which will give me the right funk!

No comments:

Post a Comment