Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Off my trolley with delight!


Sometimes you just know you’ve made a great purchase. Not immediately, perhaps, but after using/wearing something a few times, you know then. This is the feeling I have about my new shopping trolley. It’s absolutely fab!

When I lived my solitary life in the UK, I used to transport my shopping in a variety of ways. Some days I’d cycle it home (packed in my panniers); other days I’d walk it back packed into bags which I’d carry (and/or in a pack strapped to my back).

It’s rare that I carry groceries on the back of my bike nowadays. For one, I’m shopping for two; and for two, I’m only on the bike for about seven months of the year. I still tend to do the one big shop each week. Up until I moved a few months ago, my local supermarket was only a few minutes away so I was fairly content to take my bags over and walk back with the groceries. However, my new supermarket’s now a good twenty minutes’ walk from home. At first I was walking back with the bags and backpack but then decided that my quality of life would be much improved if I were to get a shopping trolley. And so I did and it has. Actually it was my lovely boyfriend (aka my husband) who bought me the trolley (one reason being that he doesn’t now have to come and meet me after a particularly big shop to help transport the stuff back).

The shopping trolley was a steal at about $22 CAD (which is about £14 – I still can’t believe that!, especially as it’s still in one piece). It’s by Canadian company Kitchen Stuff Plus (although I can’t see any trolleys on their website). I opted for the classic black as I didn’t want to draw too much attention to myself (just walking along the streets with a carrier bag around these parts is enough to elicit a few strange looks from people: “That woman’s walking – carrying something.” But I have to say that I feel really quite modern, edgy, and alternative when I’m out with my new shopping trolley. The whole reduce reuse recycle concept is just about making a dent nowadays in the community of Edmonton and I’m probably being seen as some sort of trailblazer no doubt. Maybe I should have got the red one after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment