Saturday, October 24, 2009

Spicy squash soup - a simple one that is


Another first for me living here in Canada was cooking with squash. I never tried it before back home, but I was so tempted by all the interesting looking squash in the supermarket that I had to give it a go. Admittedly, this recipe isn’t that adventurous but I am just beginning remember; and at least I can claim this recipe as my own (and if it exists elsewhere then that’s pure coincidence – on my part at least!). However, I now know why I don’t bother devising my own recipes: I can never remember all the ingredients I used (never mind how much I used!). And even when it comes to no more than five ingredients (see below), I still struggle – must be an age thing.

Spicy Squash Soup

Vegetable oil
1 butternut squash – skinned, gutted, and chopped into manageable chunks
1 large onion – skinned and chopped
1 garlic clove – crushed (I may be getting this ingredient mixed up with another recipe but I don’t think it would hurt to add it to this soup)
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cumin (don’t worry – these spices were both used and the measurements are exact!)
Half a litre of vegetable stock (or enough to cover the squash)

In a large saucepan, gently fry the onion (and garlic if using) in the oil until soft and shiny. Add the cubed squash and the spices and stir until everything’s coated. Add the vegetable stock and gently simmer everything for around 20 minutes until the squash is soft. Place in a blender and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment