Wednesday, July 15, 2009

You say beet, I say beetroot

When I told people that I was relocating to Canada, most, at some stage, commented, "At least you won't have to learn a new language." In most respects they were right; but not all.

Beetroot is called plain beet over here. Rutabaga is a turnip; mangetout is called snow peas. My neighbour asked me the other day why I don't call a carrot a carrotroot, if I call a beet a beetroot. There is no answer to that. Or not one that I could give if I still want to be on the receiving end of the tomato plants he so generously donates to me every summer.

Having taken a leaf out of my neighbor's book, I attempted to grow my own veg this year. The growing season is relatively short here in Western Canada. Unfortunately, I couldn't start sowing indoors this spring as I was away for the month of April, so I had to sow straight into the ground - once I could see it that was (for six months of the year, it's mostly covered in snow).

Growing your own vegetables is a pretty satisfying process. Pulling the first beets up out of the ground, or gently picking off the first tomatoes from your plant, can induce a feeling of real self-sufficiency and capability. However, my vegetable patch isn't particularly big, and, as my neighbor had earlier pointed out, I only have enough veg for one or two meals. Which means that not only will I be eating the beets, but I'll need to find out what I can do with the leaves so I don't go hungry...

No comments:

Post a Comment